Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Here Come the Brides?

My apologies for the lack of not giving a shit when it comes to keeping my blog updated. In another 2 and a half years I'll be apologizing again to the 2 people who read this.

So, the Gay and Lesbian community has been given Congressional approval for their partners to receive the benefits that have long been enjoyed by heterosexual couples. If anyone has ever looked at my Facebook or Twitter pages and the condescending comments I have made in the past, I have never been fully supportive of Gay/Lesbian/Transgender marriages. After giving it some thought over the years, I have come to the conclusion that I am wrong. Yes, I'm admitting that I am an idiot and I was wrong. Yes, everyone deserves happiness, or misery depending on whose marriage you look at. If the LBGT community wants to be married, who are we to say they can't?

Homosexuality isn't a new thing, we all know that. Everyone's interpretation of the Bible is going to be different based on your religion or lack thereof. Think about it this way, if God didn't want his children to be fond of the same sex, he wouldn't have created them. Here's something to think about that I'm sure has already been mentioned, but has anyone stopped to think that this isn't a matter of who you have sex with, but rather who you want to be with, and who you really feel your better half is? I think every heterosexual that reads this can say that on occasion, they much rather would prefer to spend time with their same sex best friend than their spouse of the opposite sex.  Is this "normal?" Hell yes! Are you gay or bi-sexual? Fuck no!

Marring the one you love is a basic Civil Right that has been overlooked for far too long. These are tax paying United States citizens who just want recognition. We give illegal aliens benefits, but not the partners who have been devoted to each other faithfully for years?  Something isn't right. Only a handful of states recognize marriages and civil unions, so with the announcement that DOMA died today, it only applies to a small percentage of the LBGT community. Indiana isn't one of the states. Illinois has accepted civil unions, and I believe there may be a gay marriage bill in the works but I'm not 100% on that. It's time to really put the pressure on Congress to get this done. Marriage Equality. Know what the best part is LBGT community?  If it doesn't work, there's divorce! Glorious divorce! Every heterosexual married American's wild card. You can get married for a bullshit reason, and if your partner pisses you off, or if they lied and you discover they are...... STRAIGHT ... (gasp!) you can throw in the towel and get half their shit, (and possibly alimony. I'm looking at you LBGT in California.)

While today was clearly a day of celebration for the homosexuals, we have overlooked a group of people who deserve the same representation. Domestic partnerships, common law marriages. This is not necessarily a heterosexual thing, but I feel like this gets pushed aside because the LBGT community has fought very hard for the right to marry.  There are people who are in committed relationships, and have been for some time, let's say 10 years or so, and they have chosen not to get married. Maybe they like to take things slow. Maybe they have a couple kids together. Wouldn't you think they would be able to receive the benefits of being that person's partner? WAIT! If they want to be a dependent on the other's health insurance, they need to get married! We are going to force you to marry in order to take advantage of it. Well, that's not right either.

So if you've made it this far into my ramblings, you can see where I am going.  I think it's wonderful this first step has been made, and really, we should have never had made this a decision for Congress. What I am trying to say, as we are making the step for marriage equality, we need to make sure we are treating domestic partnerships with the same respect. That being said, I am not able to fully support the actions made by Congress today.

I will not respond to any comments made here or on any other social media site.  I've been thinking this over (kinda) quietly for the last few years, and through different forms of literature and personal experiences, my mind has been made up.  LET ME BE CLEAR, I am not against gay marriage,but I really feel like we aren't speaking for everyone whether they are homosexual or heterosexual.

No comments:

Post a Comment